The rules – 6 things from or about the garden. Join in every week or just sometimes. Leave a link to your post in the comments section of our host http://www.thepropagatorblog.wordpress.com where you will find lots of like minded gardeny posts.
It’s that time again where I try to whole-heartedly engage with my friends and family in celebration of freedom from the British. Being British to the core, try is the operative word.
So lets jump right in to our Six for the week. First up is a very patriotic house gift from a dear friend whose ancestors came over on the Mayflower and who like most Americans can name every single one of them. I think it’s a kalanchoe or 2.
2. Carmine Jewel cherries. A bumper harvest. In fact almost enough to make a patriotic pie for the 4th! Far more than I usually get to harvest. Instead I’m looking into making a boozy concoction to help with the festivities.
3. Blue hydrangeas seem to be very early this year. Most years I am hard pressed to come up with some for a fourth-y bouquet. These are Nikko Blue and Endless Summer.
4. For white, our newly upcycled kitchen cabinet planter featuring a ‘3 sisters’ planting. (Beans, Corn and Pumpkins) in honour of the First Nations.
5. Of course there should be fireworks…these starry asiatic lilies will do nicely.
6. And to commemorate the battles of the War of Independance here is a tribute to the Battle of the Cercis Canadensis that mounts an annual siege on my shed. Before and After. I win!
For the first time ever I have occasional paid help in the garden, with some of the heavy duty cutting and hauling. It’s very liberating! Have a very happy 4th!