According to my spread sheet we are 2 weeks away from autumn. There is a light chill in the morning air. Harvest every day is the name of the game. Between the rabbit and me, all will be gathered in, nourishment for the season ahead. (He had my cabbages last night….)
We’re also getting in a few outdoor social events while the temperature is reasonable. Dining with friends on my deck this evening. Food for thought…
Here are 6 things to celebrate in and from the garden. For more contributions that celebrate the season pop over to the host site; http://www.thepropagatorblog.wordpress.com
1. Potato salad. Just a few pounds of Desire potatoes moved to make way for beetroot seedlings.
2. Caprese. Tomato harvest is slowing down but the peppers and chillies are coming in strong now.
3. Zucchini for the grill.
4. Happy herbs are used in all our salad dishes.
5. A mixed bouquet of late roses, zinnias and sunflowers. For the soul.
6. The seasonal gatherings have begun. Not just my gatherings, but also that of the soon to be migrating birds. Egrets, cormorants and yellow legs. At low tide they rush to catch whatever fish they can, building strength for the journey. They hang out here at high tide discussing trade winds, weather patterns, who’ll be first to leave and stopping off places en route. This will go on for a couple of weeks and one day they will be gone. Except for the great blue heron, who is always the last to leave.Enjoy your late summer garden. These are the days of wine and roses…..